Working in Sydney

Sydney Film School understands that local and international students may need to work part-time. It should be understood, however, that the Diploma of Screen and Media (CUA51015) and Advanced Diploma of Screen and Media (CUA60615) are intense courses and adjustable working hours will be needed.

International Students Working Part-time

The Australian government permits international students to work part-time while studying. New South Wales is the largest state and there is plenty of part-time work available in Sydney and surrounding regions.

Many students like to work part-time while they are studying.  However, work should not interfere with your studies or attendance in class, and you should not rely on income from part-time work to pay your living or tuition expenses.

Permission to work

People granted student visas will receive permission to work with their visa and do not need to apply separately in Australia for permission to work. Students can work up to 20 hours a week while their course is in session (excluding any work undertaken as a registered component of their course of study or training) and they can work unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks.

Tax file number (TFN)

Before you start part-time work, apply for an Australian Tax File Number (TFN) - a unique identity number issued to you by the Australian Tax Office.

When you earn money from a part-time job you are required to pay Australian taxes. At the end of each financial year (June), you claim back the income tax from the ATO using a tax return form. This is a simple process and students receive a tax refund cheque from the Australian Tax Office within 10 days of lodging their tax return.

Your employer and your bank (if you open a bank account) will ask you for your Tax File Number. It is not compulsory to have a TFN but without a TFN you may pay more tax than necessary on your income from your job or on the interest on savings in your bank account.

For more information visit the Australian Tax Office website