Transport in Sydney

It is easy to get around in Sydney using the extensive network of train, bus and ferry services to all parts of the city. Taxis are also easy to find, although they cost more than public transport.

Tickets can be purchased for most train, bus and ferry services at the railway or ferry station, but it is cheaper to pre-purchase an Opal Card if you plan to use public transport every day. International students are not entitled to concession fares and must purchase a full adult fare so an Opal Card is a better option.

Free printed timetables are available from train stations, bus depots and ferry terminals.

More information online:
Sydney Transport Info 
Sydney Buses           

Sydney Ferries          



The Sydney Cityrail network covers the region from Bondi Junction in the east to the Blue Mountains in the west, south to Wollongong and north to Newcastle.

Inner-city trains depart from most stations every few minutes. Services to and from regional areas, such as Wollongong and Newcastle, usually depart every 30 minutes.

                                                           Redfern Station


Bus services operate to almost all parts of Sydney. Frequency of services depends on the time of day and some services operate only during peak hours. Bus fares depend on the distance travelled.


Sydney Ferries operates ferry and Jetcat services between Circular Quay and most suburbs situated on Sydney Harbour and the Parramatta River.
                                                        Inter-City Bus Stands

Driving in Sydney

If you are an international visitor, you are allowed to drive a car in NSW if you hold a valid and current driver's licence from your home country.

Please note that you are required to pay a licensing fee for a New South Wales driver licence . Details of converting your overseas driver licence are listed on the link below:

If you drive you must carry with you:

* Your original valid, current licence from your home country
* EITHER an International Driving Permit OR a certified   English translation of the licence (if your licence is not written in English)
* Your passport and visa (or a certified copy of these documents)

An International Driving Permit can be arranged in your home country before you leave for Australia.

Australians drive on the left-hand side of the road. There are strict road rules that all drivers must obey such as:

* Seatbelts must be worn by drivers and passengers at all times
* Speed limit signs
* All vehicles must be registered with the Roads and Maritime Services, and owners must have third-party insurance
* Drivers must not drive under the influence of alcohol

If you intend to buy a car or other motor vehicle, check the RTA website for motor vehicle registration requirements.

More information online:                   
RMS (Roads & Maritime Services)